Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A Thank You to My Mother

My mother has always told me I am perfect just the way I am. I cannot recall a time she made a negative comment about any aspect of my natural appearance, whether it be my looks, my clothes, my weight, or my makeup (or lack thereof).

I never felt pressured lose weight when my pediatrician recommended it because my mother had me convinced 150 lbs was skinny for a teenager. She thought I was just as skinny when I was 30 lbs lighter 10 years later.

When I started wearing makeup in high school she would always tell me I didn't need it because my face was naturally beautiful. I didn't have clear skin, but she never saw those imperfections, and to this day I'm often convinced other people cannot see them either.

I thank my mother for always telling me I'm beautiful when I've needed to know it the most -- always. I've needed to hear this from her when I was dressed like a clown for my 5th grade play, at graduations, under the weather, under the chuppah, 7 months pregnant, and every Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday in between.

Mothers, please tell your daughters that they are beautiful because they are. Your daughters do not need anything to mask their G-d-given beauty. They only need your support, praise, and love. And mothers, you are beautiful, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment