Sunday, December 18, 2011

Welcome

Welcome to Tznua Fashionista! My goal is to share some great tznua clothing finds with anyone who chooses to follow my blog, or to bookmark the styles for myself in one easy-to-find place. For anyone reading who doesn't know, the laws of tzniut are the laws of dress that observant Jewish women follow. The basic rules, as I follow them, are: (1) the collarbone must be covered, (2) the elbows must be covered, (3) knees must be covered when sitting and standing, and (4) women may only wear skirts. All fashions shown on this site will adhere to rules (2), (3), and (4). I wear boatneck styles, so I will be showing those, but the front and backs of the tops will never go below the collarbone even if the sides go beyond it. I believe that many of these tops can easily be sewn together at the sides without compromising the way they lay on the body to make them adhere to rule (1). However, the vast majority of clothing I will show here will adhere to rules (1), (2), (3), and (4).

I also do not like layers. Any clothing that requires a "tznua shell" underneath will not be listed on this site. Do not expect any V-neck dresses or tops that would require shells to be tznua. I do believe in wearing shells and slips when they cannot be seen, such as under cardigans to make sure no skin can be seen when buttons bunch or under thin skirts where underwear lines could show. I believe nothing is less tznua than an underwear line...

Now about what you will find here:

Dresses. I always find it difficult to find tznua dresses. I have made multi-year searches just to find tznua formal dresses. It's nearly impossible. If I can find a black tie dress to post here, I will believe I will have saved someone lots of time.

Maternity clothes. When I was pregnant with my son, I found it very difficult to find tznua clothing, so I was forced to dress in layers. It's not my style but I went with it because I didn't have a choice. If I find anything maternity that is not easy to find tznua, I'll post it here.

Wedding dresses. I was lucky enough to score a wedding dress that was tznua off the rack and made by the manufacturer. I believe every bride should be so lucky. I'm not sure anyone goes into their wedding thinking they want to buy a strapless dress and adding white satin material to the top. I may be wrong, but that is definitely not what I wanted to do when I got married.

Special tops and skirts. If there's an amazing top or skirt that I'm surprised to find tznua, it will be posted here. It's easier to find tops and skirts, so I won't spend a ton of time posting them. But, every so often, I can find an amazing top or skirt that I think people would like because it's unusual and wearable.

Not everything on this site will be affordable. Much of it will be aspirational. My favorite stores include Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, Neimain Marcus, Barney's New York, Saks Fifth Avenue, Gap, Old Navy, Macy's, Land's End, Sears, and J.C. Penney. I'm not saying I shop at all of them myself, but there's never any harm in browsing.

I'd love to hear your comments, and please share links to any clothing that would be of interest!

Thanks for reading!

---Allison

1 comment: